What is Quality Gate?
Quality Gate is a mechanism for preventing any new technical debt from coming into the platform. It helps you in creating and implementing a strategy for dealing with technical debt in your platform. When you enable a quality gate on your instance, you create a baseline of issues to work from, and you define which new issues can be created while dealing with the debt.
Issues baseline is a snapshot of your platform quality issues taken after a recent full quality scan. It is the total number of issues - subdivided into corresponding numbers of issues by each impact area - and a point in time at which you want to start restricting any new issues coming into the platform.
Setting up a Quality Gate
You can set up a quality gate for every instance or org you have defined in Quality Clouds, provided that you have at least one full scan performed on it.
This is an admin function, available in the Admin portal.
→ To set up a quality gate
- Log in to the Admin portal.
- Go to Instances section, and choose the instance you want to add quality gate to and click the Edit. This opens the instance connection details.
- In the Quality Gate section, review the Issue baseline with the total issue number and breakdown of the last scan. These are the issues you are accepting as the baseline you will be working from.
- Enable the quality gate by switching the slider.
In the Issues accepted, select the severity of any new issues you want to allow by moving the slider from None to Low or to Medium.
You cannot select High as that would mean having no quality gate at all.
You have now set up a quality gate for the instance or org of your choice. Starting with the next scan you will be able to see whether this gate has failed or passed.
Monitoring Quality Gate
Once you've set up your quality gate, you can monitor whether any new undesired quality issues are being added to your platform. Quality gate is being checked by full quality scans, and it creates a result per scan.
→ To monitor the quality gate
- In the portal, navigate to the instance you want to monitor, and select one of the views.
- Review the result of the latest scan by checking the Quality Gate button: green - for the quality gate passed, red - for quality gate failed, and gray - for quality gate not set yet.
You can check the quality gate state from all the views that are related to full scans.
You can also monitor the Quality Gate from the Quality Clouds ServiceNow store application. See Working with issues (from the Quality Clouds ServiceNow app).